Monday, February 20, 2012

Too Far Or Just Right?



I'm not sure how many of you have had a chance to watch this video, it went viral about two weeks ago. This is a father's rebuttal to a daughter who wrote her parents a disrespectful letter about how she felt she was being treated and posted it on her Facebook page, to which she believed her parents were blocked from viewing it. By the sounds of it this wasn`t the first time she has done something along the same lines of this and had been grounded previously for it. This father is at his wits end on how to deal with his disrespectful daughter and his solution is to call her out on it on Facebook and then shoots her laptop showing her he means business.

The first time I watch the video it made me chuckle with wide eyed astonishment. My first thoughts were good on ya! Then as I saw the video pop up more and more I started reading all the comments that everyone was leaving. There were comments agreeing with what he did and other comments that didn`t agree with the way he went about it.

The more I thought about this video I slowly changed the way I thought about it. When I actually thought about it as a parent, my view on this video started leaning towards being on the fence. That is where I sit now. As that teenage girl I would have been mortified enough just to have my dad leave a video on my Facebook page calling me out on the letter. That would have been punishment enough for me. I do think that shooting the laptop was a little overboard. He states more then once that he spent at least 130 dollars on upgrade to the laptop and after he shoots it he talks about how expensive the bullets are. If that was me, after spending my time and money on the upgrades, I would have reset the computer to factory settings so no personal information was on it then sold it and kept the money.

The only thing that really sticks in my mind is, doesn't the father doing the exact same thing his daughter did in some sense condone what she did? Maybe he exhausted all other options in disciplining his daughter, who knows? I no longer say good on him, but maybe his daughter likes public antics because he like public antics?

My son being only 10 months, I don't know what it is like to deal with a hormonal teenage girl so for now my opinion is the way it is until I have to go through something like that. Maybe buy her a diary for her to vent, one day she will realize that the small amount of chores she has to do is nothing in comparison to taking care of a whole home. Will shooting her laptop create more problems between them or make the point and get her to start listening? I don't know.Maybe they will post more videos and write more letters to let us all know how it turns out.

Your momstown Edmonton North mama,

Kandice


No comments:

Post a Comment