Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bringing Smiles to our Seniors

I have always had a huge soft spot for the elderly. I choke up when they have to run to a bus because the driver is to impatient to wait, and I offer my arm when they walk across the street and I always ask if they need help finding something in stores.

Because of this love for seniors, it felt natural for me to work in seniors home. I am completely comfortable there and the things I have learned are incredible. Just to hear someones life story is amazing and makes me realize how good we got it. As much as I love working at the seniors home it also breaks my heart. Many not having family or have family but they do not visit. I have seen many residents that I have grown to love pass away. Christmas is one of the worst times of the year for resideI have always had a huge soft spot for the elderly. I choke up when they have to run to a bus because nts passing away.

While on maternity leave I was introduced to momstown. I instantly loved it, it got me out of the house and connected me with other women who were going through the same things I was as a mother. Then I got a wonderful opportunity to co-own the Edmonton North chapter. While planning events for our calendar the seniors home always pops into my mind and I think about how lonely some of the residents are. I knew that the residents love having children around, it brings a sparkle to their eyes! We started with Knit Night last month, and this month we thought it would be a great idea to do Christmas carolling with the kids.

We didn't end up singing as much as I thought we would, however it was a great event and it almost made me cry at how well it went!A bunch of balls were pulled out and the children played toss with the residents. We made such a huge impact on the residents day, for most of them it was probably the happiest part of their day. The smiles it brought to their faces and the absolute enjoyment they got from tossing a ball was amazing. And the seniors weren’t the only ones who had fun, the children did too. I could tell by their laughter and rosy red cheeks!

I know we were able to lift many spirits today, and I thank everyone that were able to make it. We were treated to cookies and punch and were asked to come back again every month, actually every week, but they would be happy to see us a least once a month!

Your momstown mama, Kandice








Your momstown mama, Kandice

No comments:

Post a Comment